Wednesday 3 March 2010

Horatio is... Batman

This was big. It had been building for weeks... the anticipation had become overwhelming. And now, it was time to see him again. My heart began to beat faster, faster, faster. I could feel my temperature rising, every breath brought me closer to him. I was so consumed by the look... that look. I felt an instant pang of impatience - wanting it sooner, remembering how long it has been. Those knowing eyes, that arrogant glance…. He knew what I wanted.

And he gave it to me.

It was 10pm when Horatio entered my home Monday night, and I was ready. I think somewhere in between H’s brooding looks, side glances and smoldering manliness, a show happened. ‘Apparently’, there was a murder, a trip to LA, some crooked cops and some vindicated CSIs. Yada yada yada, Batman H saved the day. All kidding aside, one of my favorite things about CSI Miami is David Caruso’s interpretation of Horatio as a mythical, uber-human super-cop. Horatio is Batman. They both personify justice and humanity. In fact, they share more than a few character traits. For example:  
• They both have dark sides borne out of a painful past.
Both are driven by their experiences to do good, to BE the good in other people's lives.
• They both have a "distinct" superhero uniform - with the difference being that H's uniform he can wear in public and STILL be disguised.
• Have surprisingly refined deductive abilities.
 

• Are always there when you need them. 
• Mysteriously appear 2 ft away from the villain, when least expected
• Have ridiculously accurate aim
• Have terrible luck with the ladies.
• Have really cool cars.
• Share space in the dictionary under the word "Awesome".

One of my favourite Batman-esque traits is Horatio’s hypnotic voice. With the delivery of one question (asked in his usual baritone, slow patterned dialogue), people completely open themselves up and willingly reveal their deepest demons. In most cases, they do so despite RIDICULOUS repercussions (jail time or death sentence). Why? Because he COMMANDED them to. THAT, my friends, is power.

Gingers around the world rejoice! You have yourselves an honest to goodness super-hero! Good job Horatio, good job.

Dina out

No comments:

Post a Comment